Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Richard Ford "Politics"

Ford's recent article "Gov't on Our Minds" objectively points out American apathy towards midterm elections and how regardless of one's political stance, there is a need for "less government in daily lives." He even mentions Democrats' "tepid achievements." His writing is smart, witty, and provocative. Quite frankly, I wouldn't use any of those three adjectives to describe the usual political commentary, but I found Ford's mature viewpoints unique. After reading this, I expected him to elaborate further on these unique ideas in the Levin interview.

Don't get me wrong: I admire Ford's writing tremendously. However, that doesn't grant him permission to conduct snarky character attacks on George W. Bush or make a number of generalizations not up to par for someone of his intellect. I'm a centrist, and even if I were an avid Tea Party member or staunch liberal, I'd consider calling the president a "moron" childish. He states almost with certainty that the Republicans stole the election, and that Gore was "egregiously lax" by not calling for a recount. This comes off as nothing short of spiteful, and I find there are too many cynics these days who can rant about problems, but never raise solutions. I never supported Bush, but couldn't even fathom saying that he didn't offer prompt aid to the people of New Orleans because "African-American people weren't Republicans." A shout-out to Mr. Levin on this as well, as he leads Ford right into the answer with his nice little remark on "people you don't need to rescue." I understand his frustration directed towards the Bush administration, but constructive criticism would've been welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment